Kiki has written 47 articles so far, you can find them below.
Kiki graduated Union College with a Bachelors Degree in Psychology and currently works at KidsFunPlaza as Community Manager. Be sure to follow us on twitter @KidsFunKitchen!
I hope you had a lovely 4th of July Holiday filled with fun, water and fireworks! Today we will be having Seafood Pasta! Full of different textures and tastes, Seafood pasta is surely a light summer dish that everyone can love!
Breakfast: Nuttella, Toast and Fruit
Lunch: Meatball Parmesan Sub
Snack: Kid Friendly Sushi
Dinner: Seafood Pasta
Dessert: Apple Crisp
- 1 1/2 pound penne rigate or bow tie pasta
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- A pinch or 2 crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or seafood stock
- 1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 pound shelled, cooked or raw bulk lobster pieces
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup cream
- A handful chopped chives or parsley or both
- In a large saucepan boil water for the pasta.
- When water begins to boil add salt liberally, let water return to a boil and cook pasta to al dente.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat with olive oil, 3 turns of the pan.
- Add mushrooms, shallots and garlic, red pepper flakes and saute 5 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with sherry, stir in stock and tomatoes and bring to a bubble.
- If using raw seafood, season with lemon zest, salt, and pepper.
- Raise the heat
- Add the seasoned seafood and heat through or cook until just about firm and opaque, a couple of minutes.
10. If using cooked seafood, season the seafood when you add it to skillet with lemon zest, salt and pepper.
11. Stir in heavy cream and toss hot pasta with sauce and chives and/or parsley,
12. Adjust seasoning and serve.
Happy fourth of July! I hope you’re enjoying your day of Family fun! Here is today’s menu.
Breakfast: Fruit and Granola
Lunch: Seafood Salad
Dinner: Pulled Barbecue Chicken Sandwich
Dessert: White Cake with Berry Toppings
Seafood Salad is a perfect dish for a beach day. Just make sure to keep it in a well chilled cooler! Its a nice cool down treat and easy to handle with the kids running in and out of the house, pool or water at the beach.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 pound crabmeat
- 1 (8 ounce) package seashell pasta
- 2 strips celery, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup slivered, toasted almonds
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning TM
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat and saute shrimp until pink.
- Add crabmeat and cook one more minute or until heated through. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente;
- Transfer the shrimp and crabmeat to a large mixing bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- Stir in pasta, celery, bell pepper and green onion.
- Add mozzarella cheese, slivered toasted almonds, mayonnaise and lemon juice.
- Season with parsley, and old bay seasoning.
- Toss to mix thoroughly.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
Breakfast: White Chocolate Chip Raspberry Waffles
Lunch: Rice Bake
Snack: Fruit and String Cheese
Dinner: Black Bean and Salmon Tostada
Dessert: Apples and Honey
Happy Thursday Everyone, As we say goodbye to June and hello to steamy July, I will be posting one of my favorite recipes- Black Bean Salmon Tostada
4 6″ corn tortillas
1 6oz pouch of salmon
1/2 avocado, diced
2 pickled jalapeno peppers, thinly sliced (remove seeds for less heat)
2 cups coleslaw mix
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
juice from 1 lime
1 tablespoon juice from the pickled jalapenos
salt, to taste
1 cup drained, rinsed black beans
2 tablespoons (28gm) nonfat plain Greek yogurt, or light sour cream
2 tablespoon salsa, preferably mango salsa
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
2 scallions, chopped
Preheat oven to 400F. Place tortillas on a baking sheet and spray with nonstick cooking spray; turn and spray opposite side.
Bake the tortillas for 10-15 minutes, until crisp.
Meanwhile, in a medium-sized bowl, breakup the salmon with a fork. Gently mix with the diced avocado and pickled jalapenos.
In another bowl, toss the slaw mix with the cilantro, lime juice, pickling juice, and salt.
Finally, combine the black beans, yogurt or sour cream, salsa, and cumin in a food processor and blend.
Spread each tortilla with some of the black bean mixture, then top with the salmon and slaw. Finsh by sprinkling with chopped scallions.
I hope you enjoy it! Have a wonderful day.
Hello Everyone! Here is another tasty salad to enjoy for lunch. It’s a cool treat as the summer gets a little hotter. I hope you like it!
Breakfast: Orange Sticky Buns
Lunch: Cherry Tomato salad
Snack: Whole Grain Toast with Apple Butter
Dinner: Mozzarella Chicken
Dessert: Dessert Pizzas
Cherry Tomato Salad
- 40 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup pitted and sliced green olives
- 1 (6 ounce) can black olives, drained and sliced
- 2 green onions, minced
- 3 ounces pine nuts
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a big bowl, combine cherry tomatoes, green olives, back olives, and spring onion.
- In a dry skillet, toast pine nuts over medium heat until golden brown, turning frequently.
- Stir into tomato mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix together olive oil, red wine vinegar, sugar, and oregano.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour over salad, and gently stir to coat.
- Chill for 1 hour.
Happy Tuesday, everyone! I hope you had a great evening. Today’s recipe is Guava cake! I love guava and cheese pastelitos from my local bakery back home in Miami. It’s a huge Cuban treat to have with breakfast or even for a snack. I was homesick and intrigued when I came upon this recipe and it was quite a treat! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Breakfast: Fab Fruit Salad
Lunch: Spaghetti with Artichoke
Snack: Graham Crackers
Dinner: Ropa Vieja
Dessert: Guava Cake
Guava is a tropical fruit. The word Guava means “pomegranate” in Latin. Guava tastes sweet and gives off a scent less faint than a lemon rind but still pleasant. It is considered a super fruit due to it being rich in dietary fiber. it typically grows in tropic climates (like Florida).
Apple Guava Fruit
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup guava pulp
- 1/2 cup guava nectar
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease and flour one 13×9 inch pan.
- Sift together flour, nutmeg, soda, cinnamon, and cloves.
- In another bowl, mix together guava pulp and juice.
- In another bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time.
- Add flour mixture and guava mixture alternately to creamed mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30-35 minutes.
Hi everyone and happy Monday. Today’s menu will be featuring Asparagus and Carrot Noodles which is an absolutely delicious recipe!
Breakfast: Fruit Smoothie
Lunch: Asparagus and Carrot Noodles
Snack: Mango Slices
Dinner: Chicken Stuffing Casserole
Dessert: Vanilla Cake
Yum! Yum! Enjoy!
- Bring water to boil for pasta.
- Prepare sesame dressing in a small bowl,
- Whisk together tahini, oil, vinegar, 2 tbsp water, honey, crushed red pepper and salt; set aside.
- Add spaghetti to boiling water and cook according to package.
- Add two inches of water to another saucepan and fit with a steamer basket.
- Bring water to boil
- Add asparagus to basket
- Steam until tender, about 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl,
- Add asparagus, carrots and scallions.
- Add spaghetti and sesame dressing;
- Toss to combine.
- Sprinkle mixture with sesame seeds.
- Serve warm or chilled.
I hope you enjoy it! Have a great day!
Sunday Sunday! I hope you had a lovely weekend. As we gear up for the end of weekend, I have yet another lovely crockpot recipe for you to enjoy. Cheesy crockpot chicken is a delicious recipe that is a huge hit for cheese lovers… But First! Our daily menu
Breakfast: Blueberry Muffin
Dinner: Cheesy Crock Pot Chicken
Dessert: Strawberry Kiki Fruit Tarts
Now for the main event!
Cheesy Crock Pot Chicken
Cheesy Crock Pot Chicken
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 10 oz. can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 10 oz. can condensed Fiesta cheese soup
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- Place chicken breasts in 3-1/2 to 4 quart crockpot.
- Pour the undiluted soups over the chicken,
- Add the pepper and chili powder,
- Stir to combine.
- Cover crockpot and cook on low 6 to 8 hours, until chicken is tender and thoroughly cooked.
- Serve over rice or noodles.
I hope you have a relaxing Sunday and a great week! See you tomorrow and be sure to check in to KidsFunPlaza for Menu Plan Monday!
Happy Saturday everyone! Here is today’s menu
Breakfast: Fluffy Pancakes
Lunch: Chinese Chicken Salad
Snack: Sweet Potato Potstickers
Dinner: Vaca Frita
Dessert: Pumpkin Pie
Chinese Chicken Salad is my absolute fave salad! It has a lot of really unique tastes blending together to create a really lovely. I hope you enjoy it!
- 4 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, divided
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 head napa cabbage, thinly shredded (about 6 cups)
- 1/4 head red cabbage, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 large carrot, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 3 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced, greens included (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 (8-ounce) can sliced water chestnuts
- 1 (11-ounce) can Mandarin oranges in water, drained
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili-garlic sauce or chili sauce
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine 1 tablespoon soy sauce and 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil and brush onto chicken breasts.
- Arrange in a baking dish and bake until juices run clear, about 13 to15 minutes.
- Remove from oven,
- cool completely
- cut into 1/4-inch slices.
- In a large bowl, combine Napa cabbage, red cabbage, carrot, scallions, water chestnuts, Mandarin orange and sliced chicken.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger, oil, 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil, brown sugar and chili sauce.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss to combine.
10. Divide among bowls and top each serving with 2 teaspoons toasted almonds
Happy Friday! As the Rain continues to fall in the Capital District, I hope this fun salad will help bring some pep into your day. It combines a number of delicious flavors that really pleases the palate. Plus it’s pretty healthy! I hope you enjoy it.
Breakfast: Mint and Cilantro Melon Salad
Lunch: Bartlett Pear Salad
Snack: Crispy Fried Tofu
Dinner: Cuban Paella
Dessert: Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
1 (10-oz.) package washed and ready-to-eat fresh spinach
2 to 3 large, ripe California Bartlett pears, cored, quartered and sliced
1 avocado, peeled and diced
3 to 4 strips bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
1/2 cup pine nuts or other nut, toasted
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup fresh mushrooms, optional
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tbsp. seasoned rice vinegar
1 to 2 tsp. Dijon mustard, to taste
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/4 tsp. salt
- Combine spinach, pears, avocado, bacon, pine nuts, cranberries and mushrooms in salad bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk all dressing ingredients and drizzle over salad.
- Toss before serving.
Short and sweet. Enjoy!
Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream
Breakfast: Zucchini Bread
Lunch: Baked Lemon Pasta
Snack: Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
Dinner: Chicken Cordon Blue
Dessert: Vanilla Ice Cream
With the summer warming up fast, making your own ice cream is definitely a trick to know. You know exactly what is going in your ice-cream and you can customize it from the beginning:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the heavy cream and the half and half.
- Gradually whisk in the sugar until blended.
- Whisk in the vanilla.
- Refrigerate, covered, until very cold, at least 3 hours or as long as 3 days.
- Whisk the mixture to blend and pour into the canister of an ice cream maker.